This vibrant autumn Beetroot & Chicken Soup recipe is given by Chef Thomas Beard of The Tenants Arms in Kilnsey.
- 1 large Spanish white onion
- 3 beetroot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 2 stalks celery
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1 chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- Sweat down (cook until tender) the onion, garlic and celery for 5 minutes until soft
- Add ginger, cook for 4 minutes and stir regularly
- Add vegetable stock, allow to simmer for 2 minutes
- Add beetroot. Alternative method if a roasted flavour is preferred, would be to roast the beetroot for 1-2 hours under aluminium foil, and then add to the soup,.
- Allow the broth to simmer for 25-35 minutes, before adding to a food processor for 5 minutes.
- Drop in the raw diced chicken and cook for 10 minutes.
Season to taste and store in a container until ready to serve.
PS. Beetroot harvesting season in the UK usually finishes in October.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!